The house was built in 1721. Humphry Repton produced a Red Book for the garden in 1800 and parts of his advice was followed, especially in the woodland planting. There is a transition from a terraced garden to the parkland. The woodland garden is planted with rhododendrons and azaleas. There is a modern knot garden and recent sculptures by Simon Thomas and William Pye.