Sitting in its own 1,100 acre estate, Horsted Place is a gothic mansion designed by Augustus Pugin and built by George Myers in 1850. In 1964 it was bought by Lord and Lady Rupert Nevill who commissioned the leading 20th century landscape architect Geoffrey Jellicoe to redesign the gardens. Various mature trees and shrubs were moved from the Nevills' previous residence, Uckfield House, and these included a myrtle tree grown from a sprig taken from Queen Victoria's wedding bouquet. The gardens have been maintained according to Jellicoe's design. Features include a laburnum arch, a sunken garden and “the Queen's Walk”, a path through the grounds to the local 10th century church which was used by Queen Elizabeth II when staying with the Nevills. Gardens to visit while staying at Horsted Place Hotel include Bateman's Garden (19 miles), Herstmonceux Castle Garden (14 miles) and Sheffield Park Garden (11 miles).