The garden is on the site of the house formerly occupied by the Treasurer of St Thomas' Hospital (when it was a charitable institution). The garden was made when the eastern part of the hospital was re-built in the 1960s and is a good example of abstract modernist garden design. The central feature is a revolving fountain by the constructivist sculptor Naum Gabo (1890-1977): the Revolving Torsion Fountain (1972-73). Water is emitted from small holes in the fountain and they are often blocked by algae. The fountain was restored in 1987 and has been working a little better since then.
Lambeth Palace Road, London, Greater London, England, SE1 7EH