The Dolmabahçe Palace and garden were designed for Sultan Abdülmecid in 1842 on a bay in the Bosphorus which had been progressively filled after the seventeenth century to make an imperial garden.'Dolma' means 'stuffed' and and bahçe means'garden'. The sultans moved here from Topkapi because it was more comfortable. There is a terrace garden and landing stage beside the Bosphorous. The enclosed back gardens served the harem quarters and the favourite girls (cariyeler). The administrative section of the palace, used by the sultans and then by Ataturk, as a formal garden.