One of the great eighteenth century landscape gardens, representing the Augustan phase of the serpentine style. It was owned and designed Charles Hamilton (between 1738 and 1773), set in a wooded valley. There is a lake, a Gothic temple, a Chinese bridge, a ruined abbey, a Turkish tent and a remarkable grotto. The garden fell into decay but is being restored with great skill and vigour. The island grotto is a masterpiece.