Roundhay Park was a hunting park belonging to the De Lacy family in the 13th Century. In 1870, the estate was purchased by John Barran. It was then purchased by Leeds City Council and is now one of the largest urban parks in Europe. In garden history, its chief claim to fame is as the site of the world's oldest surviving movie clip, known as the Roundhay Garden Scene
. It was also the place which had Britain's first electric tram. Essentially, it is a serpentine landscape park which has been adapted to the High Victorian Mixed Style.