The garden and Villa of Poggio Reale was located in Poggioreale, then outside the walls of Naples. It was an important renaissance villa and garden. In 1487 the future King Alfonso II chose the site for a royal residence. In 1604 the viceroy Juan Alonso Pimentel de Herrer beautified the villa, with trees and fountains. The quadrangular building had four projecting wings like corner towers. An arcaded porch stood beside a square courtyard paved with glazed ceramic tiles. It could be covered with a wooden floor for parties and theatrical performances, or it could be flooded as a stage effect.
Poggio Reale, nr Naples, Campania, Italy