An old botanic garden (1768) designed by Italian botanist Domingos Vandelli, situted close to the Palácio da Ajuda. There is an ancient dragon tree, fern hothouse, scented garden and terraces. The Lower Terrace is symmetrically laid out and planted with box hedges. There is a central pool with a fountain. The Upper Terrace was restored in 1993 according to the original plan and botanical collections are organised geographically into eight sections. The view from the centre of the Upper Terrace overlooks the garden and across to the River Tagus.