The Earl of Moray's Pleasure Ground now forms part of Dean Bank Gardens. In the eithgeenth century the area was part of Lord Moray's country estate lying to the west of Queen Street and Central Edinburgh. The pleasure ground was then protected and preserved when the greater part of the estate was developed in the nineteenth century to form a set of exceedingly grand crescents and circusses. It is distinguished by the circular temple known as St Bernard's Well. It was designed by Alexander Nasmyth (1758-1840) for Lord Gardenstone in 1789. Nasmyth was a portrait painter who became a landscape painter, visited Italy and became known as the "father of Scottish landscape art". He worked as an estate improver and as an architect.
The Earl of Moray's Pleasure Ground is now a section of the Water of Leith Walkway - an eighteenth century landscape garden and part of a modern urban greenway.
Stockbridge, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Free entrance dawn to dusk