Burgess Park has been transformed from an urban area in the 1930s to a wasteland in the 1960s to a popular park. Land was zoned for a new park on this site in 1943 and the site was gradually cleared of housing and industry. By 1982, 27 of the 56 hectares had been developed. The most interesting features to were the new entrance from the Old Kent Road and the lake which was opened in 1982. For many years the park was funded, and designed, by the GLC with Simon Rendell as the lead landscape architect. The park passed to the London Borough of Southwark after the demise of the GLC.
In 2009, LDA landscape architects won a design competition for the regeneration of Burgess Park and went on to prepare and implement a landscape master plan. The below video was made in 2017 by two landscape architects who last met there in 1982.
Old Kent Road, Southwark, London, Greater London, England, SE17
All year, Daily, Open dawn to dusk