The gardens were designed, by Edith Wharton
, to form transition between the house and the natural landscape beyond. There is a flower garden connected to a walled garden by a lime walk. The gardens restored for their centenary, in 2002. The white manse, house which Wharton built in 1902 for $84,000 was the place where she wrote her best-selling novel, ï¾“The House of Mirthï¾” Wharton had travelled in Italy and written a book on Italian gardens. Henry James saw the garden, in 1904 as 'a delicate French chateau mirrored in a Massachusetts pond.'