The garden has been treated as a Colonial Revival garden since the New Hampshire Colonial Dames took over the house and garden in 1913. Care has been taken to preserve some of the more Victorian features of the Alexander Hamilton Ladd garden such as the grass steps and a curved pathway. There are twelve iindividual plots featuring a wide variety of perenials, herbs, and roses- the oldest rose dating back to the orignal garden of 1763. There are several notable trees the most outstanding being the huge horse chestnut tree planted by General William Whipple upon his return from signing the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Two large lawn areas are at either end of the garden and a newly restored mid-19th century coach house are available for public use.
The original garden was put in while the house was under construction in 1763. It was cared for by the succeeding Moffatt, Whipple and Ladd families until the very end of the 20th centruy. Little is know about the changes in layout to the garden prior to the late 20th century. The final family member living in the house, Alexander Hamilton Ladd, was an avid gardener known to have grown over 125 fruit trees and 60,000 tulips each season. The current layout of the garden is based on the descriptions in AH Ladd's Garden Journal.
154 Market Street, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA, NH 03801
Mid June to mid October. Daily. Open 11am (1pm on Sunday) to 5pm.
House (Guided Tour) and Garden: $6 per person. Garden Self Tour: $2. Group Rates: Please call the office at (603) 430-7968 to make arrangements.