Gibside has Palladian Chapel, a ruined eighteenth century house and a landscape park (sometimes attributed to Lancelot Brown). An avenue extends from the chapel to an obelisk with a statue of British Liberty. George Bowes inherited the estate in 1721 and began developing the landscape in 1729. The style is characteristic of the first phase (Forest Style) of the landscape movement with both avenues and open landscapes. In 1747 George Bowes married Mary Gilbert of St. Paul's Walden in Hertfordshire. The Column of Liberty is capped by an originally gilt statue of liberty carved by Christopher Richardson and built from 1750 - 1757. The Chapel was started in 1760. Bowes' daughter married the Earl of Strathmore in 1767. The family name became Bowes-Lyon and they lived at St Paul's Walden Bury.
nr Rowlands Gill, Burnopfield, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England, NE16 6BG
All year. Daily. Closed Christmas and New Year. Open 10am to 6pm (4pm November to Feburary).