The original university botanic garden was founded in 1620 under the Faculty of Medicine. Having moved location several times due to wars and flooding, the garden was established in its current location in the Herdern district of Freiburg in 1914. There are four display greenhouses - the Tropenhaus (tropical house), Farnhaus (fern house), Sukkulentenhaus (succulent house) and Kalthaus (cold house).
Schänzlestr. 1, Freiburg im Breisgau, South West, Germany