A Victorian mansion in rolling parkland, with an Arts and Crafts garden designed by Thomas Mawson. The Garden Wall was constructed in the 1830s. This wall was heated to encourage the growth of the fruit trees that grew there. As part of the major alterations to the house during the 1840s, a new main entrance was created and the previous entrance hall became the library. The colonnades outside that area of the house then looked somewhat out of place and were moved to the garden to create a seating feature. In 1910, T.H.Mawson redesigned the 4-season garden. The Walled garden was renovated in 1988 to represent its original Victorian design. The William's Monument was moved from the woodland to the lawn area of the garden in 1992.