When Prince Eugen acquired Schloss Hof in 1725 the 17th century was altered by Lukas von Hildebrandt and a baroque garden was made. It had seven terraces, designed by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Anton Zinner. The central axis integrated cascades and fountains and sculpture. The Empress Maria Theresa became owner of the Schloss in 1755. After her death it fell into decay. In 2003 a restoration programme was launched, based on a 1760 painting by Canaletto.