Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is a Victorian glasshouse, gardens and tropical forest conservatory in the Schenley Park area of Pittsburgh. Henry Phipps, a partner of Andrew Carnegie, made his fortune in steel and employed the prestigius New York greenhouse firm, Lord and Burnham design a large conservatory with 9 display houses. A gift to the city of Pittsburgh from Henry Phipps in 1893, Phipps' mission is to promote awareness, enjoyment, and understanding of plants and their diverse interactions with mankind. Phipps fosters learning about plants through educational and recreational programs and promotes research. Throughout the year, Phipps features changeable exhibits, flower shows, classes and programs for the public.