Napoleon's wife, the Empress Joséphine, had a famous rose garden here and the garden retains a small collection of old roses. In 1801, she employed architects Charles Percier and Pierre-François-Léonard Fontaine. They enclosed the park and built stables and hot houses. However, their work was not to her taste. Later, she hired landscape architect Louis Martin Berthault, who understood exactly what she wanted. He redesigned the park and built a temple, a cave made from stones brought from Fontainebleau and a pool with ornamented with a statue of Neptune.