The castle was redesigned in 1862, by Anthony Salvin. The Georgian Terrace is half a mile long with summerhouses and views of the Lakeland Fells. There is a large Himalayan Garden with an important collection of species rhododendrons. There are also vegetable, herb and physic gardens and a Plant Centre. It was restored and extended with the aid of a £4.8m grant from the Millennium Commission and English Heritage.