A great Elizabethan house (1580) with garden and park. It once had an Elizabethan garden and a park designed by London and Wise in the 1680s. Lancelot Brown re-designed them after 1757. In 1760 a visitor remarked that 'there is not much alteration in the house, but the gardens are no more. They are succeeded by a fine lawn, a serpentine river, wooded hills, gravel paths meandering round a shrubbert, all modernised by the ingenious and much sought-after Mr Brown'. Repton praised Brown for turning a little stream at Longleat into "an apparent river". Repton then deepened the lake and designed a bridge over the dam in 1804. A formal garden was added in the nineteenth century and improved by Russell Page in the twentieth century.