A nineteenth century 'Italian' garden surrounded by a twentieth century woodland garden. Stone balustrades and staircases enclose the lower terrace and a children's garden. The garden is enclosed by a deer park with magnificent views over the lake and surrounding countryside. JC Loudon was here in 1833 and wrote that it 'is most nobly situated on the side of a considerable hill. . . there is nothing done in the way of pleasure-ground around it'. Lanning Roper advised on the planting design after 1975.