The Castle of Mey (formerly Barrogill Castle) is a late sixteenth century castle dramatically situated on the coast on the northern most tip of Scotland (6 miles from John O'Groats). It was purchased by the Queen Mother (1900-2002) in 1952, the year of the death of her husband King George VI. She gifted the estate to The Castle of Mey Trust in 1996. The location is extremely exposed and the 2 acre walled garden is protected by a 12ft wall.
The early borders consist of mirrored beds which are coming into flower now and as the name infers, they are one of the most interesting parts of the garden this month. Growth started very well with wonderful warmth in March but we hope there will not be too much bitter wind to burn the young shoots. If the weather is kind, the Brunnera Jack Frost, Hacquetia, two different Primulas, Dicentra, various Pulmonarias and Epimediums should be flowering well.
Another favourite area at the moment is the far end of the East Garden. Here the Hellebores, Vinca and little double white Primulas are putting on a good show it will be even better when they are more established in a year or twos time.
Mey, nr Thurso, Highlands, Scotland, KW14 8XH
As opening dates vary each year, please consult the Castle website for up to date details. The hours for the Castle are as follows and apply every day when the Castle is open: Daily 10.00 am to 5.00 pm. (Castle 10.20 to last entry 4.00 pm.) Coach/group visits can be arranged in season.
2014 Adult: Castle & Garden £11.00 Concession £9.75 Group £9.75 Children £6.50 Family £29.00 Garden and animal centre only £6.50 each, Family £19.00. Children under 5 free