Bartlett Arboretum was founded by Dr Francis Bartlett. The 91 acres of gardens, hiking trails, walking tours include the Cottage, Secluded and Sundial gardens, Banana and Perennial Borders (individual garden maps available at the Visitor Center). Its 13 Champion trees are some of the largest native trees in the state - many of which were planted by Dr. Francis Bartlett. The home and grounds, purchased in 1913 by Dr. Francis A. Bartlett (founder of the F.A. Bartlett Tree Expert Company), was the site of new discoveries and innovations in tree care such as the hybridization of the first blight-free chestnut tree (still common today). The Bartlett family turned the property over to the State of Connecticut in 1965 to ensure its preservation. In 2001, title of the property passed to the City of Stamford and management for the property is overseen by the Bartlett Arboretum Association.