HORNIMAN GARDENS There are gardens of a very different character round the Horniman Museum, not far distant. This collection, as well as the 9.25 acres of ground adjoining it on Forest Hill, were the gift of the late Mr. J. F. Horniman, M.P., and the garden, kept up by the London County Council, was opened in June 1901. The situation is extremely attractive. A steep walk up an avenue from London Road, Forest Hill, near Lordship Lane Station, leads to a villa standing in its own grounds, which is utilised for refreshment rooms and caretaker's house, &c. The lawns descend steeply on three sides, and on the western slope there is a wide terrace, with a row of gnarled pollard oaks. From this walk there is a wide and beautiful view, over the hills and parks, chimney-pots and steeples of South London, with the lawns and pond of Horniman Gardens in front. On this terrace a shelter and band-stand have been put up, and no more favoured spot for enjoying the open-air town life, so common on the Continent, but until lately so rare in England, can well be imagined. The country round is still fairly open, between Forest Hill and Brixton. Near the foot of Horniman Gardens lies Dulwich Park, with the shady path known as "Cox's Walk," from the proprietor of the "Green Man," and the roads lined with trees connect Dulwich with Brockwell Park, Herne Hill, so that this corner of London is well supplied with trees.