From the old college buildings College Road leads to the south to (1+ miles) the Crystal Palace, passing the last surviving toll-gate in the County of London and (+ miles) the handsome new buildings of Dulwich College, a red-brick structure with terracotta ornamentation, designed by Sir Charles Barry in the 'Italian style of the 13th century,' and built in 1866-70. It has accommodation for about 700 boys. Half-a-mile farther on in College Road is St. Stephen's Church, which has a fresco by Sir Edwin Poynter. Near it is the Sydenham Hill Station of the Southern Railway.
At the beginning of College Road, opposite the old college buildings, is an entrance to Dulwich Park, a fine open space of 72 acres, presented to the public in 1890 by the college and noted for its rhododendrons and azaleas. We cross the park and, keeping to the left, emerge in Court Lane, whence Eynella Road leads to Lordship Lane, + miles from the gallery. Hence we take the tramway to the right for (+ miles) the Horniman Museum, in London Road. On the right, at the corner of the road named Dulwich Common, we pass the Grove Tavern (rebuilt), which in the 17-18th century was the 'Green Man' inn, with the well producing the noted Dulwich spa-water in its grounds. Later the site was occupied by Dr. Glennie's academy, where Byron was a pupil for two years. The Horniman Museum was founded in 1890 by F. J. Horniman, rebuilt in 1900, and presented by him to the London County Council together with the adjoining Horniman Gardens. It is closed on Tuesday and on Christmas Day, but on all other week-days it is open free from 11 to 6.30, 6, or 7 according to the season, and on Sunday from 2 to 8 p.m. Guide-lecturer on Wednesday and Saturday at 3.30 p.m.
The South Hall, which is devoted to Ethnology, comprises six wellarranged sections, showing the evolution of weapons, the domestic arts, decorative art, magic and religion, musical instruments, and travel and transport. Of special interest are the cases illustrating the arts and crafts of the Andamanese, the history of fire-making, and Buddhist art. At the end of the hall, on the right, is a Corridor containing Egyptian mummies. The staircase ascends to the balcony of the South Hall. The 'Bygones Room' at the top of the staircase contains old household utensils, etc. The wall-cases in the balcony illustrate the ornamentation of the person, the use of tobacco, etc., toys, domestic appliances, currency, weights and measures, writing and printing, and tools. The inner cases contain stone implements. The North Hall is devoted to Zoology. The wall-cases on the left illustrate the various methods of animal locomotion. In the corridor at the end, to the right, are vivaria and aquaria. The wall-cases in the balcony present a survey of the animal kingdom. Adjoining is a students' room with fine collections of British insects, shells, and birds' eggs.
The museum is 2 minutes walk from Lordship Lane Station (Southern Railway) and 5 minutes from Forest Hill Station (Southern Railway), from both of which trains run to the Crystal Palace. Tramway No. 58 passes the museum.