47. HAMMERSMITH, CHISWICK, AND FULHAM.
STATIONS. For Hammersmith Broadway: Hammersmith, on the District Railway, Piccadilly Tube, and Great Western and Metropolitan Railways. For Chiswick: Ravenscourt Park and Turnham Green, on the District Railway. For Fulham: Putney Bridge, on the District Railway. OMNIBUSES to Hammersmith, Nos. 9, 11, 27, 33, 73, 127; to Fulham, Nos. 14, 22, 30, 74, 96. TRAMWAY Nos. 28, 30 82. STEAMERS, see Walk 51.
From Hyde Park Corner to the bridge over the West London Extension Railway, see Walk 12. Kensington Road is continued west by Hammersmith Road. To the right is an approach to Kensington (Addison Road) Station, opposite which rises Olympia, a huge glass-roofed building covering six acres, opened in 1886, and used for exhibitions, military tournaments, motor-car, aeroplane, and cycle shows, etc. In Blythe Road is the large Post Office Savings Bank, erected in 1903, which has a staff of over 5000.
Opposite Blythe Road diverges NORTH END ROAD, a curving thoroughfare leading to Fulham Roadied 'The Grange' (now two houses; Nos. 111 & 113) was the country-house of Samuel Richardson (1689-1761), who wrote 'Clarissa Harlowe' here. From 1867 to 1898 the portion on the left was occupied by Sir Edward Burne-Jones. Farther on is an entrance to Earl's Court Exhibition, which has another entrance in Lillie Road and is connected by covered passages with the stations of Earl's Court, West Brompton, and West Kensington. At 13 Penywern Road is the Labour College, transferred from Oxford in 1911.
On the left Edith Road and Gliddon Road lead south from Hammersmith Road to Baron's Court Station and Queen's Club Athletic Ground .
Farther on in Hammersmith Road, on the left, rise the handsome red-brick buildings of St. Paul's School, designed by Alfred Waterhouse. The school, founded by Dean Colet in 1509, with William Lily as the first High Master, and removed hither from the east side of St. Paul's Churchyard in 1884, is now one of the largest secondary day-schools in England, with 153 foundation scholars (the number of fishes in the Miraculous Draught) and circa 520 other boys. Among its famous pupils are Camden, Milton, Halley, Pepys, Marlborough, Sir Philip Francis, Judge Jeffreys, Major Andre, and Jowett. In front stands a bronze statue of the founder by Hamo Thornycroft (1902). In Brook Green, a little to the north, is St. Paul's School for Girls, a modern development of Colet's foundation.