The borough of Fulham (population 157,944) lies on the bend of the Thames to the south-east of Hammersmith and to the south-west of Chelsea. From the West End it is approached either via Fulham Road or via King's Road (omnibuses in both).
FULHAM ROAD, diverging south-west from Brompton Road opposite the Oratory, is 2+ miles long but contains little of interest. St. George's Workhouse, 1 miles from the Oratory, occupies the site of Shaftesbury House, where Locke and Addison were frequently guests of Lord Shaftesbury of the 'Characteristics.' A little farther on, to the right, is an entrance to Brompton Cemetery, opened in 1840, in which (at the north end of the central colonnade) is a monument to Lieut. Warneford, V.C. (died 1915), who single-handed destroyed a zeppelin in mid-air near Ghent on June 7th, 1915. Beyond Chelsea and Fulham Station is the entrance to Stamford Bridge Athletic Grounds, on the right. Farther on is Walham Green Station. Fulham Road ends at High St., Fulham, close to the parish church and the bishop's palace.
KING'S ROAD, beginning at Sloane Square, runs more or less parallel with Fulham Road, a little to the south of it, and is of equal length. For about a mile it marks the north boundary of the interesting parts of Chelsea. About + mile beyond St. Mark's College and Chelsea Station it assumes the name of New King's Road. It then skirts Eelbrook Common and Parson's Green, on the right; on the same side, farther on, is the old Fulham Pottery (burned out in 1918), founded by John Dwight in 1671.
In Hurlingham Road, running roughly parallel with the last part of New King's Road, is an entrance to the polo and tennis grounds of the Hurlingham Club .
The parish church of All Saints, at the north end of Putney Bridge, has a 14th century tower, but the rest of it was rebuilt in 1880-81 by Blomfield in the Perpendicular style. In the churchyard, at its east end, are the graves of Theodore Hook (died 1841) and of several bishops of London.
Fulham Palace, entered from Bishop's Avenue, a turning out of the Fulham Palace Road, has long been the principal residence of the Bishops of London, and the manor of Fulham ('the place of fowls') has belonged to the see since 631. Visitors are admitted on previous application to the bishop's private secretary. The entrance courtyard was built by Bishop Fitzjames in the reign of Henry VII., but the rest of the building dates from the 18th century. The hall and the dining-room, containing an interesting series of portraits, and the Porteus Library of 6000 volumes are shown. The chapel, designed by Butterfield, was erected in 1867. The Grounds, 37 acres in area, are of remarkable beauty and contain some rare trees. In a wall on the south side of the palace is a Tudor arch. The moat surrounding the grounds, popularly believed to have been constructed by the Danes, is now mainly filled up. Between the moat and the river and to the north-west of Bishop's Avenue is the public Bishop's Park.