The adjoining modern castellated building is the headquarters of the 7th Royal Fusiliers. Immediately to the north, between the City Road and Bunhill Row (formerly Artillery Walk), lie Bunhill Fields, the famous cemetery of the Nonconformists, known formerly as Tindal's Burial Ground, from one Tindal, who leased it from the City soon after its formation in 1665. It has been disused since 1852.
In this ground are the graves of John Bunyan (died 1688; recumbent effigy), in the second turning to the south (left) from the main walk; Daniel Defoe (died 1731; obelisk erected in 1870 by boys and girls of England), to the north of the main walk, close by; Dr. Isaac Watts, the hymn-writer (died 1748; altar-tomb), to the east of Defoe; and William Bake (died 1828; believed to lie beneath the path, circa 25 paces north-west of Defoe). Here rest also Dr. John Owen (died 1688); Dr. Thomas Goodwin (died 1680), who attended Cromwell on his death-bed; General Fleetwood (died 1692), Cromwell's son-in-law; and Susannah Wesley (died 1742), mother of John Wesley. Guide (with plan, 6d.) from the keeper.
No. 125 Bunhill Row replaces the house where Milton wrote 'Paradise Regained' and died in 1674. In the Friends' Burial Ground, a grassy plot amid the factories of Roscoe St., a turning on the west from Bunhill Row, is the grave of George Fox (1624-91), founder of the Society of Friends.