The Garden Guide

Book: London and Its Environs, 1927
Chapter: 29 From The Bank To The Angel


Previous - Next

On the opposite side of City Road stands Wesley's Chapel, built in 1777, with a statue of John Wesley (170391), by J. A. Acton (1891), in front of it and his grave behind. In Wesley's House (No. 47; adjoining the chapel) his sittingroom, the bedroom in which he died, and a small oratory, with furniture, books, and other mementoes, are shown to the public on week-days (10-1 & 2-4; admission 6d.). A little farther on City Road crosses Old Street, which leads to the right (east) to Shoreditch and to the left (west) to Clerkenwell, passing the Bank of England's large printing-works, formerly St. Luke's Hospital. Curving now to the north-west, City Road leads past the Angel Station to the Angel, once a famous old coaching tavern, recently converted into a cafe-restaurant. In Duncan Terrace, the last turning on the right out of City Road, No. 64 has been identified as Colebrook Cottage, the house where Charles Lamb lived in 1823-27 (tablet), 'never having had a house before.' It was on leaving this house that George Dyer walked into the New River (now covered). The street was then called Colebrook Row, a name now reserved for the opposite side of the way. From the Angel PENTONVILLE ROAD descends to (+ mile) King's Cross, passing St. James's Church, in the churchyard of which are buried Richard Bonington (1801-28), the painter, and Joseph Grimaldi (1779-1837), the famous clown. In Rodney St., close by, John Stuart Mill (1806-73) was born at No. 39.