The Thames now bends round till it again flows from west to east. To the left is the Charing Cross Underground Station, adjoined by Hungerford House, used by the engineers' department of the London County Council. Opposite, in the Embankment wall, is a bronze medallion of west south Gilbert (1836-1911), by Sir George Frampton. To the left, just beyond Hungerford House, is the entrance to the largest section of the Embankment Gardens. Facing us as we enter, at the foot of Buckingham St., is the old Water Gate of York House, by Nicholas Stone, 'master mason of Whitehall and Windsor' in whose 'Works Book,' at the Soane Museum, is an entry that he designed and built it. The design is, however, claimed also for Inigo Jones and for Sir Balthazar Gerbier, the architect of York House. The position of the gate, still beautiful though now deprived of its meaning, indicates the course of the Thames at the time of its erection (1625).
The garden contains also statues or memorials of Robert Burns (1759-96), by Steell (1884); Sir Wilfred Lawson (1829-1906), a noted temperance advocate, by McGill (1907); the Rt. Hon. Henry Fawcett (1833-84), the blind postmaster-general (fountain by Basil Champneys, medallion by Mary Grant, 1886); Robert Raikes (1735-1811), the founder of Sunday Schools, by Brock (1880); and Sir Arthur Sullivan (1842-1908), by Goscombe John (1903); and a memorial to the Imperial Camel Corps (1916-18), by Major Brown. 'Eros' is temporarily here.