The block of buildings to the left as we begin our walk along the Victoria Embankment includes St. Stephen's Club and the Westminster Station of the District Railway. A little farther on is New Scotland Yard, the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police, an effective turreted building in the Scottish baronial style, by Norman Shaw, erected in 1891 (main entrance in Derby St.; entrance to Lost Property Office from the Embankment, open 10-4). Beyond this are Montagu House and temporary extensions of the Government offices in Whitehall Gardens, opposite which, at Whitehall Stairs, is the Royal Air Force Memorial (1923), designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield, with a bronze eagle and globe by Reid Dick. In the Embankment Gardens beyond Horse Guards Avenue, backed by the huge Renaissance piles of Whitehall Court and the National Liberal Club, are several bronze statues.
William Tyndale (circa 1484-1536), reformer and translator of the New Testament (by Sir Edgar Boehm, 1884); Sir Bartle Frere (1815-84), High Commissioner of South Africa (by Sir Thomas Brock, 1888); and General Sir James Outram (1803-63), the 'Bayard of India'.
In the open space at the other end of the gardens converge Whitehall Place, the wide Northumberland Avenue, Craven St., and Villiers St. At this point the Southern Railway is carried across the Thames by the unattractive Charing Cross Railway Bridge, erected in 1860-64, alongside which runs a separate footway (the 'Hungerford Foot Bridge'; stairway approaches in Villiers St. and on the Embankment), commanding interesting views of the river. It replaces the Hungerford Suspension Bridge, the materials of which were partly used for the suspension bridge at Clifton. In the Embankment wall, opposite Northumberland Avenue, is a niche with a bronze bust of Sir Joseph Bazalgette (1819-91), by George Simmonds. Here is a Floating Fire Brigade Station.