SLOANE STREET which leads hence almost due south to Sloane Square (see below) and (circa + mile) Chelsea (Walk 13), traces approximately the west boundary of Belgravia, a highly fashionable district ranking with Mayfair and extending on the east to Grosvenor Place. This quarter, which was built of stucco by Thomas Cubitt about 1825-35 on an open space known as 'The Five Fields,' is, strictly speaking, included in Pimlico, though that less distinguished name is usually now reserved for its more southerly portion, near the river. Belgravia includes several spacious and solemn squares and many aristocratic mansions. In Belgrave Square, No. 18 is the Austrian Legation. The philanthropic Earl of Shaftesbury died at No. 5 in 1885, and Sir Roderick Murchison at No. 16 in 1871. At No. 29 Sir Henrv Campbell-Bannerman formed the Liberal ministry of 1906. No. 37 Chesham Place (to the south west) was Lord John Russell's town residence from 1841 to 1870. Chesham House is the Russian Soviet Legation. William Wilberforce died in 1833 at Mr. 44 Cadogan Place. Chelsea House (1874) at the north end of this place, is the residence of the Earl of Cadogan. At the north east end of the long Eaton Square is St Peter's Church (good music), the scene of many fashionable weddings. In Eaton Place No. 15 was Lord Kelvin's house. In 1922 Sir Henry Wilson was assassinated on the steps of his abode at No. 36. Matthew Arnold lived for some years at No. 2 Chester Square; and Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin died at No. 24 in 1797. In Grosvenor Gardens, to the north west of this point and near Victoria Station, No. 1 is the Spanish Embassy, No. 4 the American Embassy (Chancery), and No. 42 is the office of the High Commissioner for India. Grosvenor Place continues Grosvenor Gardens north to Hyde Park Corner.
Just to the west of Sloane St. are Hans Place and Codogon Square. Jane Austen and Shelley (at No. 41) were residents of Hans Place, and Miss Mitford (1787-l853) went to school at No. 22 (rebuilt). Cadogan Square, dating from 1882-83, occupies part of what was once Prince's Cricket Ground. The Scottish Church of St. Columba, at the west end of Pont St., which bisects Sloane St., contains a memorial to Lord Strathcona (1820-1914). Near the south end of Sloane St. are Holy Trinity Church, with an east window by Burne-Jones, and a Christian Science Church. In 1816 the youthful Edgar Allan Poe attended the school kept by the Misses Dubourg at No. 146, the last house on the east side (entirely rebuilt since 1885). In SLOANE SQUARE are the Royal Court Theatre and the Sloane Square Station of the District Railway, across which the Westbourne brook is carried by a conduit of wood and metal.