11. HYDE PARK AND KENSINGTON GARDENS.
STATIONS. South side: Hyde Park Corner and Knightsbridge, on the Piccadilly Tube; Kensington High St., on the Metropolitan Railway. - North side: Marble Arch, Lancaster Gate, and Queen's Road, on the Central London Tube. OMNIBUSES along Piccadilly and Knightsbridge, Nos. 9, 14, 19, 33, 96; along the Bayswater Road, Nos. 32, 38, 112, 184, 185.
The thoroughfare continuing the line of Piccadilly (Walk 9) to the west from Hyde Park Corner, along the south side of Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens (Walk 11) is known in its first part as Knightsbridge and farther on as Kensington Road (interrupted for a short distance by Kensington High Street), and is the main approach to Hammersmith and the west suburbs. Albert Gate, Kensington Gore, Princes Gate, etc., are practically portions of this main thoroughfare.
Knightsbridge, a street of tall houses, mansions, hotels and shops, is the north boundary of the fashionable district of Belgravia, while on its north side are several entrances to Hyde Park. On the left, facing the Park is Hyde Park Corner Station of the Piccadilly Tube. On the same side Wilton Place leads to St. Paul's Church (good music); in the churchyard is a memorial to General Sir F. Stanley Maude (died 1917, in Mesopotamia). Albert Gate House, at Albert Gate, is the French Embassy. Opposite, at No. 60, is the Royal Thames Yacht Club. At the junction of Sloane St. and Brompton Road with Knightsbridge is an equestrian statue of Lord Strathnairn (1803-85), commander-in-chief in India, by Onslow Ford (1895). Facing it, on the north side, is No. 70 Knightsbridge, the home of Charles Reade from 1867 to 1879.