Immediately adjoining Windsor Castle on the north and east is the Home Park, lying within a bend of the Thames and having a circuit of circa 4 miles.
In the south part of this park lies Frogmore House (no admission), once the residence of Queen Charlotte and of the Duchess of Kent (died 1861), whose tomb is in the grounds. Here, too, is the sumptuous Frogmore Mausoleum erected by Queen Victoria (died 1901) for the Prince Consort (died 1861) and now containing her remains also, as well as a monument to Princess Alice (died 1878). The mausoleum is open to the public 12-4 on May 24th (Queen Victoria's birthday). Visitors may obtain access to the Royal Dairy and Show Farm on application to the Keeper of the Privy Purse, Buckingham Palace, London. Herne's Oak, mentioned in the 'Merry Wives of Windsor,' stood in a part of the park not now open to the public; it was blown down in 1863 and replaced by an oak saplong, now become a respectable tree. On the river, to the east of the Home Park, lies Datchet, and a little to the south of it is Old Windsor, where some foundations, supoosed to be those of the Confessor's palace, were discovered in 1919.
To the south of Windsor lies Windsor Great Park, an expanse of nearly 2000 acres, with many groups of fine trees and well stocked with deer.
The park is traversed by two or three public roads, and the Long Walk, a magnificent avenue of elms begun by Charles II. and completed by William III., stretches straight from the castle to (2+ miles) Snow Hill, which bears a huge equestrian statue (the 'Copper Horse') of George III. by Westmacott (view of the castle). A little to the south lies Cumberland Lodge, the residence of the late Princess Christian (died 1923) near which is an equestrian statue of Prince Albert by Boehm. About 1+ miles south is Virginia Water. Parallel with the Long Walk on the west is Queen Anne's Ride, leading, with its continuations, to Ascot, circa 7 miles from Windsor Castle.
Adjoining Windsor on the west is Clewer, with the headquarters of the Clewer Sisterhood. The church retains a few Norman features.