The South Harrow stations of the District Railway and the London & North Eastern are 1 mile south west and 1 mile south Harrow and Wealdstone station on the London Midland Scottish & Railway is 1+ mile north (Bakerloo Trains).
From Harrow a branch-line (Metropolitan Railway) runs to (7 miles) Uxbridge via (+ mile) West Harrow, (4 mile) Ruislip for Ruislip Reservoir (80 acres; admission 2d.; boating and fishing), and (5 miles) Ickenham, near which are Swakeleys, a delightful mansion of the early 16th century, and Harefield Place (1+ miles west), the ancestral home of the Newdegates (burned down in 1660), where Milton's 'Arcades' was performed in 1635.
10+ miles. North Harrow. 11+ miles. Pinner (Queen's Head, built in 1705), a pleasant, leafy little town, with a church dating from 1321. 14 miles. Northwood. We enter Hertfordshire. 15+ miles. Moor Park & Sandy Lodge, a station for two golf-clubs. Moor Park Club occupies a stately classical mansion, built in 1673 for the Duke of Monmouth and rebuilt in 1720 by Giacomo Leoni, with ceilings by Cipriani.
17+ miles. Rickmansworth (Victoria, Room & Breakfast 6/, Luncheon 3/, Dinner 3/6; Swan, an old inn in the town), a small town (6288 inhabitants) near the junction of the Chess, the Colne. and the Gade, has paper-mills and cultivates watercress. William Penn lived for five years (1672-77) in Basing House, in the High Street. Rickmansworth is connected with Croxley Green and (2+ miles) Watford by two branch lines.
The WALK from Rickmansworth to (5 miles) Chenies up the valley of the Chess should not be missed. On leaving the station we turn to the right, take the passage to the left, immediately beyond the railway bridge, and cross the line by a footbridge, leading into Rickmansworth Park. The footpath across the park (fine trees) ends in 25 minutes at a road, where we turn sharply to the left and then take a pretty woodland path to the right. After 10 minutes a path diverges on the left for the main road, joining it about + miles from the village of Chorley Wood (station). We, however, keep straight on and follow a path along the wooded bank of the Chess to (3miles) Chenles (Bedford Arms, Luncheon 3/; Red Lion), a picturesque 'model village' on the Duke of Bedford's estate, frequented by anglers. The north chapel of the parish church (caretaker at No. 36, opposite) is the family burial-place of the Dukes of Bedford, built in 1556 ('the house of Russell robed in alabaster and painted'-Horace Walpole). Visitors are not admitted to the mortuary chapel, but many of the tombs can be seen from the church. The fifteen regal monuments include those of the first Earl of Bedford and his Countess, Anne Sapcote, the foundress of the chapel; the first Duke of Bedford, his duchess, and their son Lord William Russell (executed in 1683); Lord John Russell (died 1878); and Lord Ampthill (died 1884). 19+ miles. Chorley Wood, + mile from the village and 1+ miles from Chenies. We enter Buckinghamshire. 21+ miles. Chalfont and Latimer, 1+ miles from Chenies and 3+ miles from Chalfont St. Giles, which lies due south.
Beyond Chalfont a branch-line diverges to the north for Chesham, while the main line goes on to Missenden, Wendover, and Aylesbury.