Almost opposite the tavern stands Highgate School, founded by Sir Roger Cholmeley (1565). The present buildings date from 1866-67, with later additions. The chapel occupies part of the site of the old burial-ground, and was built with a crypt (shown on application to the headmaster), so as to preserve intact the vault in which lie the remains of Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834). This is reached by an external entrance on the west, admitting to a flight of steps. The most celebrated pupil of the school is Nicholas Rowe. North Road is continued by North Hill and the Great North Road.
From Highgate Station a road runs north-east between the two public parks, Gravel Pit Wood (left) and Queen's Wood (right), to Muswell Hill, on the east side of which is the Alexandra Palace, opened in 1873 as a northern Crystal Palace. Adjoining the grounds on the east is the Alexandra Park Racecourse. During the War the Palace was used first for Belgian refugees and then as an internment camp for enemy aliens. It is reached direct by trains from King's Cross, Broad St., Moorgate St., and Liverpool St. Stations.
The GREAT NORTH ROAD, beginning at the junction of Archway Road and North Hill, goes on beyond Highgate Station (tramway) to (1+ miles) East Finchlcy and (3+ miles) North Finchley, once notorious for the exploits of Dick Turpin and Jack Sheppard. On the Barnet Road, near the Green Man Inn, is 'Turpin's Oak,' the highwayman's traditional stand. From Tally-Ho Corner tramways run south-east to Finsbury Park, passing New Southgate, with the lunatic asylum of Colney Hatch, and south to Cricklewood via Golders Green. 4+ miles Whetstone, 1+ miles west of which, on the road to Edgware, lies Totteridge, with the mansion of Copped Hall (now a hotel), where Cardinal Manning was born in 1808, and where Lytton wrote 'The Last of the Barons.' 7 miles Barnet, Chipping Barnet, or High Barnet, noted for its horse and cattle fair (September), lies 11+ miles by branch-line from King's Cross. New Barnet, to the south-east, is a villa district. Beyond Barnet church a road diverges for St. Albans (9 miles). The Great North Road crosses Hadley Green, probably the scene of the battle of Barnet (1471), in which Edward IV. defeated the Lancastrians and Warwick the Kingmaker was slain. To the east lies Monken Hadley, with the delightful Hadley Wood (station on the London & North Eastern Railway, main line), a relic of the ancient Enfield Chase, disafforested in 1777. At (10+ miles) Potter's Bar the church contains a crucifix made from fragments of a zeppelin destroyed here on October 1st, 1916.