To the south of the bridge, the right bank of the Thames as far as Vauxhall is skirted by the Albert Embankment, 1 mile long, completed in 1869 at a cost of over ï¿½1,000,000. At its beginning, opposite the Houses of Parliament, rise the seven stone-faced pavilions, connected by arcades, of St. Thomas's Hospital, built by Currey in 1868-71. The hospital, founded as a hospice in 1213 by the priors of St. Mary Overy, was removed hither from Southwark in 1868; it now contains 602 beds, and circa 10,000 in-patients and circa 80,000 out-patients are treated here yearly. Its annual income is ï¿½140,000. Visitors are admitted, except on Saturday and Sunday, on application at the secretary's office (entrance in Lambeth Palace Road) between 10 and 4. Following the Embankment beyond the Medical School (160 students) attached to the hospital, we reach Lambeth Palace.