To the south of the palace is the parish church of St. Mary, rebuilt in 1851, with the exception of the Perpendicular tower of the 15th century. Beneath this tower Mary Beatrice of Modena, queen of James II, fleeing from Whitehall in 1688, took shelter with her infant son, while waiting for a conveyance to take her to Gravesend. At the east end of the south aisle is the 'Pedlar's Window.' This pedlar bequeathed to the parish the 'Pedlar's Acre,' a piece of ground which, at first worth but 2s. 8d. a year, fetched ï¿½81,000 when it was sold to the London County Council for their new County Hall. Archbishops Bancroft, Tenison, Hutton, Seeker, Cornwallis, and Moore are buried in this church, but their monuments have disappeared; in the churchyard are the tombs of John Tradescant (died 1637 ?), the naturalist, Lieutenant (later Admiral) Bligh (died 1817) of the 'Bounty,' and Patrick Nasmyth (died 1831), the painter. At this point the Thames is spanned by Lambeth Bridge. Hence to the south.