The Garden Guide

Book: London and Its Environs, 1927
Chapter: 33 The Tower and Tower Hill

Tower of London 2

Previous - Next

On the right, immediately within the entrance gate, is the Ticket Office and a plain Refreshment Room, on the site of the former Lion Tower, where the king's menagerie was kept from the 13th century until the animals were transferred to the Zoological Gardens in 1834. Thence we pass through the Middle Tower (built by Edward I. but since refaced) and cross the bridge over the Moat to the Byward Tower (14th century), which has a portcullis still in working order. Opposite us, at the angle of the inner fortification, rises the Bell Tower, the prison of Fisher, Sir Thomas More, and the Princess Elizabeth. This tower and the walls on either side are among the most ancient parts of the fortress (13th century or earlier). We follow the Outer Ward or Outer Bail to the east. The curtain-wall on our left is pierced by the windows of the King's House, built by Henry VIII. On our right, farther on, is St. Thomas's Tower, above the Traitors' Gate, the old water-gate, through which many illustrious prisoners little deserving the name of traitor have entered the Tower. Both tower and gateway date from Henry III.'s reign. Leaving the Bloody Tower and the Wakefield Tower on the left, we follow the Outer Ward, which at this point was once occupied by shops and other buildings, including the old Mint. A gateway on the left admits us to the Inner Ward, on the site of the Great Hall of the Palace, which stood on the south side of the White Tower and was destroyed during the Commonwealth. In this hall Anne Boleyn was tried and condemned. Immediately in front of us rises the White Tower, round the east side of which we pass in order to enter it on the north side. On the way, near the south-east corner of the White Tower, we notice a fragment of the old Roman Wall, which was long incorporated in the Wardrobe Tower (demolished). On the right are the Married Men's Quarters and the Officers' Quarters. Opposite the north side of the White Tower are the Waterloo Barracks, built by the Duke of Wellington.