To the east of Somerset House, and architecturally forming its east wing, stands King's College, one of the incorporated colleges of the University of London. The Theological Department, which cannot be incorporated in the University, is governed by King's College Council. King's College for Women now shares the Strand building, the whole forming one co-educational institution. The number of students is about 1086.
The King George III. Museum (open 10-4) contains mechanical models and instruments collected by George III. and includes apparatus used by Faraday and Wheatstone. King's College was the first institution to have laboratories for physics and bacteriology.
King's College School for Boys is now at Wimbledon.