For about a mile beyond the Regent's Canal the EDGWARE ROAD is known as MAIDA VALE, and is flanked on either side by pleasant dwellings. The name recalls the battle of Maida, by which the British under Sir John Stuart expelled the French from Calabria in 1806. On the right extends St. John's Wood and on the left lies the district known as Kilburn Park, through which runs the extension of the Bakerloo Tube. In Warrington Crescent four four-story houses were demolished by a single bomb on March 7th, 1918. Kilburn Priory, a short street at the north end of Maida Vale, preserves the memory of a nunnery which existed until 1536. The main thoroughfare, known for the next mile as Kilburn High Road, is once more lined with shops, and intersects the line of three railways. It then ascends ShootUp Hill, and at Cricklewood , 3+ miles from the Marble Arch, resumes its original name of Edgware Road.
WILLESDEN LANK, diverging on the left circa 1+ miles short of this point, leads past Paddington Cemetery and on through Willesden Green and Neasden to Wembley Park.
Tramways run from Cricklewood straight on to Hendon, Edgware, and Canons Park; to the right to Hampstead Heath, Golders Green, and Finchley; and to the left to Willesden Green, Harlesden, and Paddington or Acton.