16. EDGWARE ROAD. PADDINGTON. ST. JOHN'S WOOD.
STATIONS: Paddington, Maida Vale, and Kilburn Park on the Bakerloo Tube; Edgware Road and Praed Street on the 'inner circle' of the Metropolitan Railway, and St. John's Wood Road, Marlborough Road, and Kilburn on the St. John's Wood branch; Brondesbury on the North London Railway. Paddington Terminus of the Great Western Railway. OMNIBUSES in Edgware Road, Nos. 1, 6, 7, 8, 15, 16, 36, 51, 60, 107; in St. John's Wood, Nos. 2, 13, 31, 48, 53, 74; in Paddington. Nos. 7, 15, 27, 36, 107.
In the north-west quarter of London covered by the present route the points of interest are somewhat far apart and the district does not repay minute exploration.
Edgware Road, which begins at the Marble Arch, runs in a practically straight line to (7 miles) the village of Edgware, following the ancient Roman Watling Street. As far as (1 mile) the Regent's Canal its south part is a busy street of shops, running between Tyburnia and Paddington on the west and Marylebone on the east Off Harrowby St. , on the right, leads the narrow Horace St., once notorious as Cato Street, the meeting-place of the 'Cato Street Conspirators' (1820), whose object was the wholesale murder of the ministers of the Crown at a Cabinet dinner. G. F. Watts (1817-1904) was born in Harrowby (then Queen) Street. On the basement of No. 195 Edgware Road (at the corner of Star St.) is an ancient stone inscribed 'Half a mile from Tyburn Gate,' on approximately its original site. On the left Praed St. leads to Paddington Station, the terminus of the Great Western Railway, and on the right Chapel St. to the Edgware Road Station of the Metropolitan Railway and to Marylebone Station. A few yards farther on Harrow Road diverges on the left. On the right is the Edgware Road Station of the Bakerloo Tube.