From the west side of Regent St., Hanover St. and Princes St. both lead to Hanover Square, dating from the beginning of the 18th century, but now almost entirely rebuilt. No. 18 is the Oriental Club; and Talleyrand, when ambassador to England in 1835, occupied No. 21. Mary Somerville (1780-1872) lived at No. 12. At the south end of the garden is a bronze statue of William Pitt (1759-1806), by Chantrey (1831). In George St., which runs to the south, is St. George's, Hanover Square, famous for its fashionable marriages. The church, which has a good Corinthian portico in the style of its period, was built in 1713-24 by James, a pupil of Gibbs. The altarpiece is a Last Supper by Thornhill, and three of the east windows contain good stained glass from Malines, dating from 1520 and placed here in 1843; the subject (Tree of Jesse) has been rearranged (central window damaged by a suffragette bomb in 1914). The registers record the marriages of Sir William Hamilton and Emma Lyon (1791), Benjamin Disraeli and Mrs. Wyndham Lewis (1839), Lola Montez and G. T. Heald (1849), 'George Eliot' and J. W. Cross (1880), Theodore Roosevelt and Edith Carow (1886), and H. H. Asquith and Margaret Tennant (1894); also the re-marriage of Shelley and Harriet Westbrook in 1814, confirming the Scottish marriage of 1811. Hawthorne lodged with his family at 24 George St. in 1855.