The more modern style of gardening, of less severe type, may be said to have been introduced by Asagori Shimanosuke of Fushimi, who arranged the grounds of the Kiaku-Do of the temple of Hongwanji in Kioto, and restored and altered many other compositions made by the priests and Chajin of the preceding period. A great number of the ancient gardens of the western capital bear the impress of his skilful reconstruction. This brings us down to the Tokugawa times when the city of Yedo, during a great portion of the year, became the residence of the feudal lords. Between the Kwansei and Bunsei epochs (1789-1830) numerous palaces were built in this capital, and were adorned, in most cases, with magnificent gardens. Of these, a number have been destroyed, some have been converted, and one or two only remain in anything approaching their former beauty. A list is here appended of the principal specimens:ï¿½ The garden of the Daimio of Mito, at Koishikawa, called Koraku-En. The garden of the Daimio of Owari, at Ushigome, called Toyama-En. The garden of the Daimio Matsu-ura, at Shitaya, called Horai-En. The garden of the Daimio of Nagato, at Hatchobori, called Chinkai-En. The garden of the Daimio of Koriyama, at Komagome, called Mukusa-no-Sono. The garden of the Daimio of Iida, at Takata, called Kiraku-En. The garden of the Daimio of Kuwana, at Tsukiji, called Yoku-on-En. The garden of the Daimio Mizoguchi, at Kobikicho, called Kairaku-En. The garden of the Daimio of Izumo, at Osaki, called Osaki-no-Tei-En. The garden of the Daimio of Kishiu, at Akasaka, called Tei-En. The garden of the Daimio of Bizen, at Mukojima.