313. The Augarten is a level spot of ten acres, close to Vienna, surrounded by an elevated broad terrace walk commanding extensive views in all directions. The interior is planted with trees, crossed and recrossed by broad straight gravel walks; the sides of the trees next the walks being shorn like hedges. There is a magnificent banqueting-house at the entrance, for the use of the public. In this house there is an immense room, in which any decent man or woman may open a place of sale for liquors, fruits, and other refreshments; and as these persons pay no rent, every thing in this coffee-house bazaar, as it may be called, is remarkably good and cheap. The tables for the guests are ranged round three sides of the room: the fourth is for the sellers of refreshments, and the centre is devoted to walking or dancing. The Augarten was formed during the reign of the benevolent emperor Joseph; a man who appeared as much before his time, as some of his successors have lived after theirs. It was his particular wish, says his biographer Pezzel, that this garden should be open to every class of citizens. Both it, and the grove formed by the same emperor in the Prater, were planted with full-grown trees; because, as Pezzel observes, the emperor, like every man of ardent mind, wished to see the immediate effect of all his improvements. The Tivoli garden (fig. 76.) was a very interesting place of public amusement in 1830, but it is now destroyed.