The Buddha stayed in Pavarika’s Grove at Nalanda several times and the place became a monastery and center of learning. Sariputta, a disciple, was born here and uttered his ‘lion’s roar’ here stating his faith in the Buddha. The grove at Nalanda became, in effect, a large and famous university with 10,000 students and 2,000 teachers. It flourished from 427 CE to 1197 CE. There were dormitories, stupas, lakes and gardens. After being sacked by the Khiliji Turks it fell into disuse. Today, there are brick foundations and trees but 90% of the site remains unexcavated.