A Royal Park and one of the most romantic urban landscapes in Europe. The area was originally a swamp, subject to flooding from the Tyburn stream which still flows through the lake. Its 23 hectares were first made into a park with a rigidly formal design in 1660. Charles II had a long canal excavated from the watery land and introduced the geese, pelicans and waterfowl which are still there today. The park was completely re-designed by John Nash (1828) in the English landscape style which he had learned through his association with the Reptons. The subtlety of the contouring is notable and the view from the new bridge (1956) across the lake to the Horse Guards and Whitehall is justly famous. An iron suspension bridge was designed by James Meadows Rendell and built in 1857 and replaced, in 1957, by the present Blue Bridge, designed by Eric Bedford of the Ministry of Public Building and Works. St James's Park is the editor's choice as the most beautiful and interesting park in London. Access from The Mall or Birdcage Walk.
See also: St James's Park in 1927
Horse Guards Parade, London, Greater London, England, SW1A 2BJ
All year. Daily. Open 5am to midnight.
almost 8 years by Bert 5 / 5A wonderfully central urban park, a stones throw from Buckingham Palace. Not bad at all for a quick lunchtime sandwich!
The reviews and ratings originate in all cases from third parties. Gardenvisit is in no case responsible for the correctness or accuracy of the reviews. Reviews and similar information are not an expression of Gardenvisit's opinions.