Point Ellice House was owned by the family of a gold rush magnate (Peter O'Reilly) from 1867 to 1976 and has a large collection of Victoriana - in which category the gardens can be placed. Many tools and features survived. The family kept good records and the planting has been restored. The garden owes its structure to the period from 1889 to 1914. It has a croquet lawn, a rose garden, woodland paths, gardenesque planting. See old sepia photographs
of the garden.