Mrs Juliet Rice Wichman established Limahuli Garden in 1967 to preserve and protect the natural and cultural resources of the valley. She gifted Limahuli Garden to the National Tropical Botanical Garden in 1976. The botanic garden sits in a lush valley surrounded by jagged mountains. The Limahuli Valley is a sacred site and its name means 'turning hands'. The Limahuli stream falls over a 1000 foot waterfall before passing through the valley to the ocean. This provides a range of habitats Hawaii's indigenous species with fresh and marine environments.