The 10 acre site is arranged around Lake Santa Ynez. The lake basin was created in the 1920s by real estate developers trying to level the area for future projects. The basin soon filled with water from natural springs in the area. It was purchased by H Everett McElroy in 1040. The McElroys brought their Mississippi house boat to the lake and constructed the mill house and windmill. Lake Shrine was dedicated in 1950 by Paramahansa Yogananda. The Court of Religions is an outdoor shrine to the 5 major world religions. The Mahatma Gandhi World Peace Memorial contains some of Gandhi's ashes. There is a Rose Garden, Japanese Garden and waterfall.